Saturday, August 16, 2014

Do you like Jesus??‏

"Do you like Jesus?" Is one of Elder Milne's favorite lines to catch someones attention as we're walking up to talk to them... he also will go jogging with anyone that he sees jogging... he's so freakin funny. Things are a little bit different in Florida than they were in Sierra Leone. We have light.... all the time. We have a washer and a dryer and that is probably the best thing about being back in the states. We ride bikes and have a car. There are lots of rednecks and a weird accent down here. One thing that i haven't had to much in my mission until now is rejection. Not everyone here will love to hear what you have to say.... its kind of a blessing though because you can see who is serious about the gospel and who isn't. I've gone tracting for the first time in my life and man i seriously love tracting... not all day every day but tracting is pretty fun for me. You never know who you'll meet on the other side of the door and most of the time they are drunk and you get some pretty good laughs and sweet memories. Its also cool when you find someone who is interested in the gospel and recognize us as servants of the Lord. The amount of lessons that we have over here is very different than over there. We have about 5 lessons a week.... no more 30 lesson weeks but the two missions have awesome parts and not so awesome parts and you learn from both sides. I am grateful for the opportunity to serve in two missions. I will learn a lot from this mission that i didn't in my last one but i learned some things (mostly how to survive) in my last mission. Here's an experience from tracting... Sunday night after church meetings and many other meetings we were going around tracting at a huge apartment complex and we see one guy outside his door and this is a man that has been contacted before. We walk up to him and he's an elderly black man and we are talking and he wants us to come in and meet his wife so no problem we go inside... while we're standing there in his living room he just starts staring into my forehead and says "this one is different" and he keeps saying things like that and he doesn't even move or blink, just stares on. He says "you guys are all special but this one is different.. I'm not drunk. Well, i had a few drinks but I'm not drunk (he was freakin wasted). This one is different.... he has 3 eyes!" Alright sir we're outta here and never coming back... There's a lot of drunk and high people here... gonna be an interesting 14 months but I'm learning a lot from this place already and it's only been one week. So i keep remembering things that i could add to this so here's another thing that happened this week... because i'm coming from Africa we had to go to the doctor to get a TB test and a dewormer. So the doctor (one of the bishops here) asks me about this dewormer and what it's called so that he can get it for me and i told him i don't know "I do know that they call it 'The BOMB' if that helps at all." He replies, "Nope that's not enough information for me to know." So what he does is he searches through all these internet sites to find out about this... he finally calls someone from the church who would know about this "BOMB." He gets a hold of the guy and asks him "So what is this dewormer that they give to the missionaries when they go home from over there?" Elder Milne, Elder Jorgensen, and I are all in the room and listening to hear the conversation and we here the guy through the phone say "Well I'm not to sure on the specifics... i do know that they call it.... 'The BOMB.'" Doctor Morse kinda just chuckled and all of us missionaries were rolling around the room laughing! Absolutely love being with these guys. Anyways well one super sweet thing is that my P-Day is on Saturday so it's kinda like I have the weekend off.. except that on Saturday evening I'm not goin on a date with a girl.... i'm going tracting with two dudes... I absolutely love my companions though.. they make this whole experience pretty fun! Love you all!!
-Elder Rogers
SLFM-->FTM














No comments:

Post a Comment